Every Filmmaker Needs -- 15 Accessories which you should never go on a SHOOT.


Every Filmmaker Needs,
15 Accessories that you should
never go on a SHOOT.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


A lot can happen in a shoot and you must be prepared for the worst. Here I propose several tools and accessories that can really save you on set. I never leave home without them.


Film-Making-Accessories
Film-Making-Accessories



When I go to a shoot, I always make a list of the equipment that I will need. That gives me the peace of mind that I haven't forgotten anything.

Lighting kit? Ready. Camera? List. Handle? List. But even if you prepare several days in advance, you never know what could happen or the number of things that you will have to fix directly on the set.

That little screw that doesn't want to come off, the electrical cables that you have to secure, the little adapter that you forgot on your desk… Here I propose an exhaustive list of accessories, in no particular order, for a single operator or a small team of people. It has saved me many times.


Film-Making-Accessories-A
Film-Making-Accessories-A



A multipurpose tool
You always have to have this accessory in your pocket, even in your daily life.
It is a tool kit of 12 to 26 elements (depending on the model you choose) in a single package.

The basic tools you will need are:

Pliers
Philips screwdriver
flat head screwdriver
A straight blade
Can opener and bottle opener (you never know ...)
With a multipurpose tool, you can quickly repair, cut, and unscrew things, whether related to the camera, lighting, or the grip.

Probably the best-known brand of premium multipurpose tools is Leatherman, but you can also check out Gerber's or Victorinox's. When I started in this industry, I made a mistake and bought a cheap multipurpose tool from an unknown brand. As you can guess, it all broke, and a year later I had to buy a new one. Save yourself time and money, and buy one that is from a reputable brand - it will last you at least 20 years.


Film-Making-Accessories-B
Film-Making-Accessories-B



When traveling, be careful not to put this tool in your handbag, you will not be able to check-in with this tool.

A set of tools
In addition to my multipurpose tool, I always carry other basic tools: different types and sizes of screwdrivers, a set of wrenches, some Allen keys, a pair of spring clamps ...

With these simple tools, you are covered for all kinds of basic arrangements on set.


Film-Making-Accessories-C
Film-Making-Accessories-C



Gaffer tape:
Let's put it simply: The gaffer tape is truly THE accessory you can use to fix anything on the set. You could write an entire book about the uses that can be made of this tape. You can secure cables, label equipment, secure a microphone (if you forgot the microphone mount at home), or put a piece of gaffer tape on a shirt to cover a mark ... Imagination is the limit.

You can tear the gaffer tape by hand, yet it is super strong, adheres to everything, and leaves no residue on the surface where you put it. The Gaffer tape comes in various colors and widths. From basic 50mm black tape to 25mm electro green, it's never a bad idea to have multiple roles in your bag.


Film-Making-Accessories-D
Film-Making-Accessories-D


A pair of gloves:
Here you can choose. I always have a pair of "grip gloves" in my bag. They are designed to handle hot lamps and keep your hands clean when handling dirty things, such as electrical cables in places where there is mud. They are made of leather and are extremely durable and comfortable. But they won't protect you from the cold.

If you don't have to handle hot lamps, more technical gloves might be better for you, like the Bright Tangerine ExoSkins. They will protect you from the cold and cuts, the tips of the fingers are compatible with touch screens and you will not feel that you are wearing gloves. The downside is that you will not be able to handle hot lamps.



Film-Making-Accessories-E
Film-Making-Accessories-E



So it is up to you. Ideally, you can carry both in your bag - they never hurt and won't add as much weight.

C-47s
C-47s or clothespins, whatever you want to call them. They are used to place gels directly on the directional blades of your lamp. I prefer wooden tongs because they don't melt like plastic tongs. Get hold of many of these, as you will lose some on each shoot.


Film-Making-Accessories-F
Film-Making-Accessories-F



Cleaning kit:
I carry my lens cleaning kit in my accessory bag, in its own case. Usually, I try to clean all my lenses before I leave the house, but dust is always present during filming.

What everyone should have in their kit:

Compressed air. The industry standard is probably Dust-Off®. It will remove most of the dust, but try never to spray it directly on the front element of your lens.
An air blower like the Giottos Rocket Blaster. Turn your lens upside down so no dust gets in, and a few grips of the Rocket Blaster will suffice to remove any remaining dust particles.
A lens cleaning solution. I personally use the Rosco Lens Cleaner in conjunction with the Rosco Lens Tissues disposable tissues. Eyeglass scarves are inexpensive and used only once. Speaking of lens cleaning fluids, other brands with good products are Pancro or Zeiss. Try to avoid micro-fiber cloths - they will never be clean unless they are brand new. If your micro-fiber cloth contains dust or particles, it can ruin your cleaning, or even worse, scratch your lens.


Film-Making-Accessories-F
Film-Making-Accessories-G



Poly Bag / Rain Cover:
I've had my 4 'x 4' polyethylene bag for years, proving that sometimes the simplest accessories are the most useful. If it suddenly starts to rain, I can quickly unfold it and place it on top of the camera and camera bag.

Film-Making-Accessories-H
Film-Making-Accessories-H



Some lights:
Filming is over, it's already dark, and it's time to pack everything in your car. You want to turn your Fresnels off to cool, but if you do, you stay in the dark. Search your accessory bag and grab your "mining lamp" (headlight). Admittedly, they are not very sexy to say, but you can easily see what you are doing and you will have both hands free.

You can also carry a Maglite® flashlight in your bag. I have one in my accessory bag, so I can quickly see what's inside.


Film-Making-Accessories-I
Film-Making-Accessories-I




Emergency electricity cables:
This is what I call the "emergency kit". Did you run out of extension cords or outlets? I always carry two extension cords and a pair of electrical plugs with me, in case we've underestimated our equipment list.



Film-Making-Accessories-J
Film-Making-Accessories-J


Pens and markers:
Inside the accessory bag, I have a special case for pens, highlighters, permanent markers, thick pencils, etc. I use them to write on the script, on the board, on the floor, on the gaffer tape, mark the follow focus, and so on. Try to get different colors and different types so you can write about anything. But please, don't write the whiteboard with a permanent marker.









Post a Comment

0 Comments